Are you in search of an honest Oxylabs review that tells you precisely what to expect if you use their proxies?
I’ve tested Oxylabs and compiled all the information you need to know here. Oh, and I compared it to some other proxy providers I’ve also tried.
Here’s a short recap for those of you in a rush:
- Is Oxylabs a legit company: Yes, Oxylabs is indeed a legit proxy provider.
- Is Oxylabs safe to use: Oxylabs is safe to use without any risks involved.
- How good is Oxylabs’ service: The service is great.
- What’s the price: Oxylabs has outrageously expensive monthly and yearly packages.
- Is Oxylabs worth the money: Unfortunately, no. Features are pretty standard, yet the prices are too high.
- What is a good Oxylabs alternative: Proxyland is one of the best alternatives. It is 5 times cheaper but offers the same services (I’ll tell you more below).
What is Oxylabs?
Oxylabs is one of the leading proxy providers.
You can get the following types of proxies from them:
- Datacenter proxies
- Residential proxies
Oxylabs’ datacenter proxies are not associated with an ISP (internet service provider). This means that they come from cloud server providers, and not from real people. For this reason, they may be detected and flagged more easily.
On the other hand, the source of residential IPs is a real physical location provided by an ISP. That’s why they look much more legitimate and are generally more useful. Naturally, they are more expensive, too.
Their proxies can help you with a variety of use cases, such as:
- Harvesting data
You can use Oxylabs’ proxies to retrieve thousands of data points. Automated collecting of web data (aka data scraping, or extraction) comes in different shapes and forms, including:
- Market research
- Monitoring your competitors
- Trend analysis
- Accessing lead lists, and much more.
Residential proxies are recommended for this purpose because, otherwise, you could easily get banned.
On the flip side, datacenter proxies may be a better solution for the following purpose:
IPs protect you from phishing and malware attacks, which is especially useful if you are a business that needs brand protection.
Apart from these, both kinds of proxies can be used for other means:
- Social media automation
- Email protection
- Shopping bots
- Scraping flight prices
- Ad verification, etc.
Key Oxylabs Features
Here are some of the primary Oxylabs features:
- Large proxy pool
Oxylabs’ datacenter proxies offer over two million IPs. There are over 100 million for residential proxies.
Residential proxies come from users across 85 countries with advanced city-level targeting.
Datacenter proxy pool does not have IPs from all of those countries, but there are quite a few you can select from. It’s rare that datacenter proxies are not limited to one or two countries, so kudos to Oxylab for that.
Oxylabs claims that their Next-Gen residential proxies use machine learning to bypass any CAPTCHA or bans you could face by mimicking real users’ behavior.
- Session control
You can choose between rotating and sticky sessions in Oxylabs.
The former change your IP with every request. In other words, when you refresh a website or open a new link, your IP will automatically change.
Sticky sessions keep the same IP for a period of time, which can go from 1 up to 30 minutes with Oxylabs.
With high uptime (99.9%) and speed, you’ll have no trouble regarding the reliability of Oxylabs’ proxies.
How Much Does Oxylabs Cost?
Take a look at Oxylabs pricing plans:
Their datacenter plans include unlimited bandwidth BUT come with huge monthly commitments that can go up to $6,000.
For datacenter proxies, these price tags are pretty high.
Now, their residential proxies are based on bandwidth. The starting price per 1 GB is $15, and you have to get at least 20 GB, which totals up to $300. Mind you, this is the cheapest pricing plan – others are even billed at $5,000!
Honestly, I can’t see how this fits into an average customer’s needs unless you are a corporate company.
Some Oxylabs alternatives are 5x cheaper and come with similar features.
We can take Proxyland as an example:
- Much more affordable data price
- $2.9 per 1GB (as opposed to $15 with Oxylabs)
- No monthly commitments; you pay-as-you-go
- Fast response
- 99% uptime
- Reliable residential proxies
- Large proxy pool
- Data monitoring from your dashboard
- Huge discounts if you bundle up custom packages
Oxylabs vs. Competitors
If you want to see how Oxylabs compares to some other proxy providers, check out here:
Most Popular Proxy Services” table
Is Oxylabs Safe, Legit Or a Scam?
Oxylabs is legit. I didn’t find any reason to suspect this. They will provide high-quality proxies without compromising your data or something like that.
Oxylabs Pros and Cons
OK folks, time to compare Oxylabs’ advantages and disadvantages side by side!
|Fast response||Doesn’t cater to individuals’ needs|
|Good uptime||You have to make BIG commitments|
|Enormous monthly and yearly pricing plans|
|Not for small and mid-sized businesses|
Better Oxylabs Alternatives
Of all the services I’ve tested out so far, there is one that I would single out as the best Oxylabs alternative: Proxyland.
- It offers similar features to Oxylabs, but they are much cheaper
- A large pool of residential IPs
- They are accurately targeted by countries
- The price of data is 5 times cheaper
- Same use cases as Oxylabs: from web scraping to automation bots on social media
- Suitable for individuals
- Easy to set up
Bottom line: You’ll get everything you get with Oxylabs with Proxyland, only with a lower price tag.
Should You Try Oxylabs or Not?
All things considered, these are the main takeaways.
Oxylabs is for you if:
- You have a big budget to spend on proxies (more than $5,000)
- You are willing to make huge monthly or yearly commitments
- You are a big company
Oxylabs is not for you if:
- You are an individual or a company with fewer employees
- Your budget does not allow you to spend thousands of dollars monthly on proxies
- You are patient and careful about your cashflow
- Want to go down the budget-friendly lane
- You want to pay as you go
- Want an affordable solution
- You wish to forget about monthly commitments
More affordable alternative: Proxyland
- Cost-efficient plans
- You can pay as you go
- No need to make big commitments
- Reliable proxies
- A GB of data is only $2.9
- Their services are tailored to smaller companies and individuals, too
- Price reduction for customized & bulk plans
All in all, Oxylabs’s HUGE obligatory commitments and price left me with a bad taste in my mouth, albeit their service is good.
I can see it being useful for large companies, but I believe individuals (like me) and smaller companies should search elsewhere.
If you want to try a budget-friendly solution, my suggestion is Proxyland. They have excellent features that aren’t overpriced.